The contents of this webpage are for informational purposes only.
Medication Abortion and Self-Managed Care Fact Sheet
A safe, at-home abortion is here. Plan C provides up-to-date information on how people in the U.S. are accessing abortion pills online.
What is the abortion pill?
The “abortion pill” is actually 5 pills, taken one or two days apart.
- Also known as “medication abortion,” the abortion pill is a combination of two medications: Mifepristone and Misoprostol.
- These medications stop a pregnancy from growing and cause cramping and bleeding to empty the uterus, similar to having a miscarriage.
How often is it used?
It’s been used by millions around the world for the past 30 years.
- Medication abortion is quickly becoming the most common abortion option in the U.S, accounting for 40% of abortions every year. (1)
- It’s even more common worldwide: in some European countries up to 90% of abortions are done using pills. (2)
Is it safe?
It’s extremely safe and effective for pregnancies of less than 11 weeks.
- Abortion pills have been FDA-approved for the past 20 years. They are safer than taking Tylenol.
- Studies show them to be 98% effective at ending a pregnancy.(3)
We do not give medical or legal advice or sell abortion pills. This website is an educational resource for learning about how people in the US are accessing abortion pills and safely managing their own abortions. Plan C provides research-based information but does not endorse any of the services listed in the Guide to Finding Pills.
From the National Network of Abortion Funds:
Safe Abortion Using Pills
The contents of this webpage are for informational purposes only.
Today, people can safely and effectively manage their abortion on their own terms, without an abortion provider or clinic, if they choose. There are many reasons one might prefer to end their own pregnancy at home. It allows for control — of the experience, the location and the timing.
The option of self-managing an abortion at home can empower us to end a pregnancy on our own terms. Everyone should be able to choose the option that works best for them, whether that is care with a provider at a clinic or self-managing their abortion.
Some people already obtain and use abortion pills on their own — despite the legal and logistical barriers — only seeking medical help in the rare circumstance that they experience complications.
Anti-abortion politicians are standing in the way of all types of safe, effective, affordable methods of abortion care. In fact, between 2011-2017, politicians have passed more than 400 state laws that make it difficult – sometimes impossible – to get an abortion. They make abortion unaffordable and shut down clinics while attempting to shame and punish people who have abortions.
In many states, politicians have imposed regulations that create barriers to the use of medication abortion specifically, as well as to safe, effective, patient-centered, timely, efficient, and equitable abortion services generally. The regulations often prohibit qualified providers from providing services, misinform women of the risks of the procedures they are considering, overrule patients’ and clinicians’ medical decision making, or require medically unnecessary services and delays in care.
Listing these resources does not imply endorsement of any content.
- Information about how to keep your research about abortion private
- Abortion on Our Terms: NNAF is a partner organization working to realize the potential of medication abortion to take back control and enable anyone who chooses this option to end their pregnancy safely, effectively, privately – on their own terms.
- Self-Managed Abortion Resources
- If/When/How: Lawyering for Reproductive Justice: Information on criminalization
- If you or someone you know is being investigated, detained, arrested, or concerned they might be questioned by the police for having an abortion, contact the Repro Legal Helpline.
- Plan C provides comprehensive information on self-managed abortion: through education and sharing information, driving new research, and mobilizing activists in the growing self-care movement.
- Euki App is the first app of its kind to offer sexual and reproductive health information and tools to track what’s going on with your body in one place AND on a totally private and secure platform. The app is especially for people in the United States, but much of the information is relevant to people all over the world.
Over the past two decades, scientific and medical advances have revolutionized how people can experience and get an abortion. Medication abortion — safe and effective abortion with pills — is one of these major steps forward. Many choose abortion pills because they feel it is less invasive and the abortion can happen at home.
Today, people can safely and effectively manage their abortion on their own terms, without an abortion provider or clinic, if they choose. Everyone should be able to choose the option that works best for them, whether that is care with a provider at a clinic or self-managing their abortion.
Click the titles below for additional information:
- LEGAL RULES REGULATING SELF-MANAGING ABORTION WITH PILLS
- SAFE ABORTION WITH PILLS
- HOW DOES MEDICATION ABORTION WORK?
- WHERE PEOPLE CAN FIND THE ABORTION PILL
- THE SAFETY OF ABORTION PILLS
- SIGNS OF A COMPLICATION
Other Resources and Links
- Plan C Pills – Plan C’s Guide to Pills provides up-to-date information about where to find online abortion pills for self-managed care.
- Aid Access – an overseas human rights organization which provides telemedicine and mail-order abortion pills.
- M + A Hotline – If you need support to self-manage your miscarriage or abortion: Call or text the Miscarriage + Abortion Hotline @ 1-833-246-2632
- Repro Legal Defense Fund – covers bail and funds strong defenses for people who are investigated, arrested, or prosecuted for self-managed abortion.
- Reprocare – an anonymous healthline that provides peer-based emotional support, medical information, and referrals to people having an abortion at home with pills.
- All-Options – A talkline that offers unbiased, judgement-free support to folks in the full spectrum of pregnancy experiences including pregnancy, abortion, adoption, parenting, miscarriage, after-abortion, and infertility.
- PDF: “How to Use Abortion Pills”
- PDF: “How To Use Misoprostol-Only for a Medication Abortion”
- Abortion on Our Own Terms – an informational site on self-managed abortion, including a menu of resources and background information on abortion pills.
- HowToUse – an online community, helping all individuals to understand and have access to a safe abortion option.
- Self-managed Abortion; Safe and Supported (SASS) – provides information and support to women in the USA around self managed abortion, and helps ensure that self-managed abortions are medically and legally as safe as possible.
- Reproductive Health Access Project:
- How Not to Get Arrested for Miscarriage or Abortion: A Practical Guide