If you are a minor and in need of abortion care without parental consent, this is the judicial bypass process for Hillsborough County – 13th Circuit
Initial filing requirements:
- The minor must file for judicial bypass in person at the Edgecomb Courthouse 800 E Twiggs St, Tampa, FL 33602 (TBAF can accompany you!)
- There are two documents that need to be filed. TBAF can fill them out for you but the minor must sign them.
- The first document is a sworn statement of your true name and pseudonym (fake name)
- The second is the Petition of Judicial Waiver of Parental Notice of Termination of Pregnancy
- During this initial filing, the minor must wait in the Courthouse until the Judge is assigned and the hearing is scheduled. This can take about 3-4 hours.
- The Tampa Bay Abortion Fund can provide a pro bono (free) attorney who can represent you at the hearing. Or you may file on your own without the TBA Fund and you can request a free attorney from the court–just check the correct box on the petition form.
- Due to COVID-19, most hearings are conducted on Zoom. Make sure you have a safe place to be on Zoom and that the app is downloaded correctly and works both on your phone and computer. The TBA Fund can assist you with finding a safe place and tech support, if needed.
- The hearing may be scheduled as soon as the same day as the initial filing or within the next 3 days.
- The hearing itself takes about 15-30 minutes.
- The minor will be asked questions by the judge and by the attorney. TBAF encourages the minor to practice your statement in advance with your attorney or TBAF.
- The Judge may give the determination immediately or the next day.
- If the waiver is granted, the minor must take all of their paperwork to the clinic-of-choice on the day of their procedure. TBAF can assist with all of these steps.
- If the waiver is denied, TBAF can work with the minor on next steps and other options.
If you have any questions on filing a Judicial Bypass in Hillsborough County, call or email us at email@example.com 727.314.3956